[openstack-dev] [kubernetes][go] External OpenStack Cloud Provider for Kubernetes

Steve Gordon sgordon at redhat.com
Thu Apr 6 23:42:05 UTC 2017

----- Original Message -----

I agree with the above comments w.r.t. tooling, but I think we will still need to determine what I think is at the core of Chris's concern which is in a world where we have extracted the cloud provider implementation from Kube (and externalizing these from Kube has indeed been on the table for some time, so thanks Dims for taking the initiative) how do we continue to work on it in the OpenStack community while also still maintaining - if not extending - our level of interop and visibility with the Kubernetes community. I think the focus of concern here should be less on the tools though - as you note each community has its own tools and that is unlikely to change - and more on communication but it can be difficult to decouple the two (IRC versus Slack, Zoom, etc.).

Thus far discussion of open PRs/Issues and ongoing work w.r.t. the provider implementation has primarily focused on the Kubernetes OpenStack SIG (the scope of which was recently extended to allow space for discussions/collaboration between the various OpenStack deployment projects and folks anchored in the Kubernetes side of things, specifically w.r.t. Helm. It's not immediately clear to me how we would prefer to maintain visibility on the Kubernetes side of the fence going forward because a natural progression of "this is developed, tested, and served up on OpenStack infra" would of course also be to move most of these discussions to IRC.

Thanks,

Steve