[openstack-dev] [tripleo] pingtest vs tempest

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Thu Apr 6 11:00:46 UTC 2017

On Thu, 6 Apr 2017, Sagi Shnaidman wrote:

> It may be useful to run a "limited edition" of API tests that maximize
> coverage and don't duplicate, for example just to check service working
> basically, without covering all its functionality. It will take very little
> time (i.e. 5 tests for each service) and will give a general picture of
> deployment success. It will cover fields that are not covered by pingtest
> as well.

It's sound like using some parts of tempest is perhaps the desired
thing here but in case a "limited edition" test against the APIs to
do what amounts to a smoke test is desired, it might be worthwhile
to investigate using gabbi[1] and its command line gabbi-run[2] tool for
some fairly simple and readable tests that can describe a sequence
of API interactions. There are lots of tools that can do the same
thing, so gabbi may not be the right choice but it's there as an
option.

The telemetry group had (an may still have) some integration tests
that use gabbi files to integrate ceilometer, heat (starting some
vms), aodh and gnocchi and confirm that the expected flow happened.
Since the earlier raw scripts I think there's been some integration
with tempest, but gabbi files are still used[3].

If this might be useful and I can help out, please ask.

[1] http://gabbi.readthedocs.io/
[2] http://gabbi.readthedocs.io/en/latest/runner.html
[3] https://github.com/openstack/ceilometer/tree/master/ceilometer/tests/integration

--