[openstack-dev] [neutron][networking-l2gw] openstack vtep setup missing docs

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Wed Apr 5 15:42:58 UTC 2017

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 12:40 PM, Armando M. <armamig at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 30 March 2017 at 08:47, Saverio Proto <saverio.proto at switch.ch> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am trying to use the neutron l2gw plugin, but I am not using a bare
>> metal switch to bridge.
>>
>> I am using a server with Openvswitch.
>>

> I am not aware of any effort to implement L2GW purely in software, in fact
> this was one key missing pieces that prevented the project to have CI
> solely dealt with the upstream infra resources. Perhaps OVN may come to the
> rescue here, I recall at some point the team was looking at the L2GW API.

networking-ovn still does not support the networking-l2gw API.

OVN itself does support two types of L2 gateways.

1) hardware_vtep based gateways.  We do have this exposed through
networking-ovn, but only via an undocumented custom binding:profile.  The
intention was to eventually support the networking-l2gw API, but it hasn't
been prioritized.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/networking-ovn/+bug/1457569

2) Software based L2 gateways.

You can configure OVN to use any host as an L2 gateway.  We haven't looked
at Neutron integration of this at all.  Perhaps it maps into the
networking-l2gw API as well, though?

​I'm happy to provide pointers if anyone is interested in working in this
area.​

--
Russell Bryant