[openstack-dev] [nova] Removing BDM devices from POST requests

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 14:45:57 UTC 2017

On 4/4/2017 10:07 PM, Feodor Tersin wrote:
>> I raised the question though, could we move forward with removing the
>
>> device field from the "POST /servers/{server_id}/os-volume_attachments"
>> API since that doesn't do anything with image BDM overrides.
>
> Will this affect detaching/attaching of root volume
> (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/340874/2/specs/ocata/approved/detach-boot-volume.rst)?
>
> I do not know if and how the spec is implemented, but it says:
> ---
> The usual attach volume API call will be used to attach the boot volume.
> The volume attach operation allows a user to specify the name of the device.
> The boot device name of an instance is known so that is used to determine
> that the user is attempting to attach the volume as the root device.
> ---

That blueprint never got implemented nor is being re-proposed for Pike.
Having said that, I wasn't aware of that part of it. I suppose the idea
is to provide the device name of the root device and then the API would
validate that the matching BDM for the instance based on device name has
boot_index=0 and detach it, otherwise fail because it's not the root
device BDM.

Anyway, I've abandoned my spec for Pike. It's a distraction at this
point and we have other things that need to get done first for BDMs in
the API before we can consider removing device name in the requests.

Matt