[openstack-dev] [nova] Risk prediction model for OpenStack

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Apr 5 14:00:28 UTC 2017

On 2017-04-05 14:00:59 +0800 (+0800), 林泽燕 wrote:
[...]
> I wonder if I could show you my study, including some metrics for
> the prediction model and a visualization tool.
[...]

I want to start out thanking you for your research and interest in
OpenStack's development practices. I love that our contribution
model enables such scientific analysis, a sometimes less recognized
benefit of our community's choice to work entirely in the open. This
specific study is also very insightful and well-presented.

> In this release, 36 developers left the development of this file
> (they made contributions in last release but not this one).
> Developers leaving a code file deprive the file of the knowledge
> of the decisions they have made.
[...]

One potentially influential aspect of our development model is that
we place a heavy importance on code review. For any patch to make it
into a branch under official revision control, it must first be
reviewed by multiple experienced, long-standing contributors to that
repository. Our hope is that even though some developers may cease
contributing new patches to a file, some of them would still be
reviewing, guiding and refining changes proposed by newer
contributors. It doesn't seem like this behavior was captured in
your analysis, or alternatively the fact that your model yielded
relatively accurate predictions could imply that our review process
has little impact on defects introduced by new commits.

If you do at some point wish to try integrating review metrics into
your analysis, our code review system has a REST API you can
leverage, and much of the data you'd likely be interested in can be
queried via anonymous methods such that you wouldn't even need to
create an account. Documentation for the interface is available at
https://review.openstack.org/Documentation/rest-api.html and we also
have documentation of our general developer workflow at
https://docs.openstack.org/infra/manual/developers.html as well as
some background on our development model at
https://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/open-development.html
if that helps.
--
Jeremy Stanley