[openstack-dev] [all] Switching gate testing to use Ubuntu Cloud Archive

James Page james.page at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 5 08:23:24 UTC 2017

On Tue, 4 Apr 2017 at 14:38 Daniel P. Berrange <berrange at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 03, 2017 at 04:06:53PM -0700, Clark Boylan wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > One of the major sets of issues currently affecting gate testing is
> > Libvirt stability. Elastic-recheck is tracking Libvirt crashes for us
> > and they happen frequently [0][1][2]. These issues appear to only affect
> > Ubuntu Xenial (and not Trusty or CentOS or Fedora) and after talking in
> > #openstack-nova it is clear that Libvirt isn't interested in debugging
> > such an old version of Libvirt (1.3.1). And while it isn't entirely
> > clear to me which exact version would be acceptable to them the Ubuntu
> > Cloud Archive (UCA) does publish a much newer Libvirt (2.5.0).
>
> If going to the libvirt upstream community for help, we'd generally want
> to see the latest upstream release being used. Ideally along with
> willingness
> to test git master if investigating a troublesome issue, but we understand
> using git master is not practical for many people.
>
> If using an old version provided by an OS distro, then we would generally
> expect the OS distro maintainers to lead the investigation, and take the
> responsibility for reproducing on latest upstream. Upstream libvirt simply
> doesn't have bandwidth to do the OS distro maintainers job for them when
> using old distro versions.

Agree on the responsibility for maintenance of libvirt in Ubuntu. Christian
Ehrhardt (cpaelzer) has been working to help resolve the libvirt 1.3.1 bugs
currently impacting the gate and does have updated packages available for
testing, but right now we're not able to reproduce the bugs outside of the
gate environment so verifying that these actually resolve the underlying
issues is proving problematic.