[openstack-dev] [tc] version document for project navigator

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Tue Apr 4 22:47:46 UTC 2017

Hey all,

As per our discussion in today's TC meeting, I have made a document
format for reporting versions to the project navigator. I stuck it in
the releases repo:

   https://review.openstack.org/453361

Because there was already per-release information there, and the
governance repo did not have that structure.

I've included pseudo-code and a human explanation of how to get from a
service's version discovery document to the data in this document, but
also how it can be maintained- which is likely to be easier by hand than
by automation - but who knows, maybe we decide we want to make a
devstack job for each service that runs on tag events that submits a
patch to the releases repo. That sounds like WAY more work than once a
cycle someone adding a few lines of json to a repo - but *shrug*.

Basing it on the version discovery docs show a few things:

* "As a user, I want to consume an OpenStack Service's Discovery
Document" is a thing people might want to do and want to do consistently
across services.

* We're not that far off from being able to do that today.

* Still, like we are in many places, we're randomly different in a few
minor ways that do not actually matter but make life harder for our users.

Thoughts and feedback more than welcome!
Monty