[openstack-dev] [infra] Stop enabling EPEL mirror by default

Paul Belanger pabelanger at redhat.com
Tue Apr 4 17:02:59 UTC 2017

Greetings,

Recently we've been running into some issues keeping our EPEL mirror properly
sync'd. We are working to fix this, however we'd also like to do the following:

  Stop enabling EPEL mirror by default
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/453222/

For the most part, we enable EPEL for our image build process, this to install
haveged.  However, it is also likely the majority of centos-7 projects don't
actually need EPEL.  I know specifically both RDO and TripleO avoid using the
EPEL repository because of how unstable it is.

Since it is possible this could be a breaking change, jobs will still be able to
use EPEL, but it will be an opt-in process. Your jobs will need to be updated to
do:

  $ sudo yum-config-manager --enable epel

Feel free to join us in openstack-infra if you have any questions or concerns.

-PB