[openstack-dev] TC Candidacy

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Thu Sep 29 23:39:55 UTC 2016

I am standing as a candidate for a seat on the OpenStack Technical
Committee.

I have worked with OpenStack since the Diablo days and have done it full
time since joining the OpenStack Infrastructure team during the Folsom
cycle. During this time I have been an OpenStack developer, operator,
and user.

During the Newton cycle the TC began to work on community wide goals. I
agree with Doug and others that this is a very important step for the TC
and OpenStack to take. We should be able to collaborate on and solve
large scale issues that affect our community.

That said, I recognize that at the end of the day someone has to be
making these changes. I have previously been involved in many community
wide changes including parallelized unittesting, ElasticSearch and
elastic-recheck, multinode testing, and most recently running our tests
with TLS enabled. I know how difficult changes like this can be. Getting
the critical mass of interest needed for reviews to happen and debugging
when things go wrong can be very difficult. If I am elected to the TC my
mission will be to ensure these goals get the visibility required to be
successful, and that we actually work together to achieve these goals as
a community.

As an individual one of the best things about OpenStack for me is that I
get to develop and use Free Software that solves real world problems for
both myself and others. I think the best way for us to continue to do
this is by working together to solve the hard technical problems we
face. Let's make it happen.

Thank you,
Clark

https://review.openstack.org/379853