[openstack-dev] TC candidacy

gordon chung gord at live.ca
Wed Sep 28 20:29:43 UTC 2016

On 28/09/2016 3:59 PM, Chris Dent wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Sep 2016, Jim Rollenhagen wrote:
>
>> And the git tree, with a changelog, is here:
>> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/governance/
>
> I assume, but I'd prefer if he confirm, that the point gordc was
> trying to make was that there's more to what the TC gets up to than
> merging changes to governance. That's certainly a major aspect and
> one can track those changes by tracking both of those resources.
>
> Part of the point I was trying to make in the message to which gordc was
> responding is that whereas a git tree can allow someone to dig through
> and acquire details, a thing that is more like release notes[1] is far
> more human oriented and more likely to operate as a consumable digest of
> what has happened. Notably a git log will not reflect important
> conversations that did not result in a governance change nor activity
> that could have led to a governance change but was rejected. Certainly
> where a community says "no" is just as important as where it says "yes"?
> Further, merged changes are changes that have already been decided. We
> need more engagement, more broadly, while decisions are being
> considered. That means being more verbose, sooner.

Chris, i should let you speak for me. much more concise. :)

i wasn't really looking to track conflicts but that is definitely an
interesting metric. more often than not, stuff happens without many eyes
even seeing it.

personally, i was wondering if there was more beyond governance repo but
it seems like that is workflow: propose patch, discuss at meeting, merge.

> [1] Note that I don't actually think that release notes is the proper
> form for some extra communication from the TC. Rather the justifications
> that lead some projects to add release notes, in addition to the git
> log, are something to consider for TC activity.

cheers,
--
gord