[openstack-dev] os-loganalyze, project log parsing, or ...

Andrew Laski andrew at lascii.com
Tue Sep 27 15:36:07 UTC 2016

Hello all,

Recently I noticed that people would look at logs from a Zuul née
Jenkins CI run and comment something like "there seem to be more
warnings in here than usual." And so I thought it might be nice to
quantify that sort of thing so we didn't have to rely on gut feelings.

So I threw together https://review.openstack.org/#/c/376531 which is a
script that lives in the Nova tree, gets called from a devstack-gate
post_test_hook, and outputs an n-stats.json file which can be seen at
http://logs.openstack.org/06/375106/8/check/gate-tempest-dsvm-multinode-live-migration-ubuntu-xenial/e103612/logs/n-stats.json.
This provides just a simple way to compare two runs and spot large
changes between them. Perhaps later things could get fancy and these
stats could be tracked over time. I am also interested in adding stats
for things that are a bit project specific like how long (max, min, med)
it took to boot an instance, or what's probably better to track is how
many operations that took for some definition of an operation.

I received some initial feedback that this might be a better fit in the
os-loganalyze project so I took a look over there. So I cloned the
project to take a look and quickly noticed
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/os-loganalyze/tree/README.rst#n13.
That makes me think it would not be a good fit there because what I'm
looking to do relies on parsing the full file, or potentially multiple
files, in order to get useful data.

So my questions: does this seem like a good fit for os-loganalyze? If
not is there another infra/QA project that this would be a good fit for?
Or would people be okay with a lone project like Nova implementing this
in tree for their own use?