[openstack-dev] [nova][cinder] Schedule Instances according to Local disk based Volume?

Joshua Harlow harlowja at fastmail.com
Tue Sep 27 03:39:32 UTC 2016

Huang Zhiteng wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 12:00 AM, Joshua Harlow <harlowja at fastmail.com
> <mailto:harlowja at fastmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Huang Zhiteng wrote:
>

>         On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 12:05 PM, Joshua Harlow
>         <harlowja at fastmail.com <mailto:harlowja at fastmail.com>
>         <mailto:harlowja at fastmail.com <mailto:harlowja at fastmail.com>>>
>         wrote:
>
>              Huang Zhiteng wrote:
>
>                  In eBay, we did some inhouse change to Nova so that our
>         big data
>                  type of
>                  use case can have physical disks as ephemeral disk for
>         this type of
>                  flavors.  It works well so far.   My 2 cents.
>

>              Is there a published patch (or patchset) anywhere that
>         people can
>              look at for said in-house changes?
>

>         Unfortunately no, but I think we can publish it if there are enough
>         interests.  However, I don't think that can be easily adopted onto
>         upstream Nova since it depends on other in-house changes we've
>         done to Nova.
>

>     Is there any blog, or other that explains the full bunch of changes
>     that ebay has done (u got me curious)?
>
>     The nice thing about OSS is that if u just get the patchsets out
>     (even to github or somewhere), those patches may trigger things to
>     change to match your usecase better just by the nature of people
>     being able to read them; but if they are never put out there, then
>     well ya, it's a little hard to get anything to change.
>

>     Anything stopping a full release of all in-house changes?
>
>     Even if they are not 'super great quality' it really doesn't matter :)
>
> Apology for sidetracking the topic a bit.  While we encourage our
> engineers to embrace community and open source, I think we didn't do a
> good job to actually emphasize that. 'Time To Market' is another factor,
> usually a feature requirement becomes deployed service in 2,3 sprint
> (4~6 weeks), but you know how much can be done in same amount of time in
> community, especially with Nova. :)

Ya, sorry for side-tracking,

Overall yes I do know getting changes done in upstream is not a 4-6 week
process (though maybe someday it could be). In general I don't want to
turn this into a rant, and thankfully I think there is a decent LWN
article about this kind of situation already. You might like it :)

https://lwn.net/Articles/647524/ (replace embedded linux/kernel in this
with openstack and imho it's equally useful/relevant).

-Josh