[openstack-dev] [nova][cinder] Schedule Instances according to Local disk based Volume?

Huang Zhiteng winston.d at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 02:05:17 UTC 2016

On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 12:00 AM, Joshua Harlow <harlowja at fastmail.com>
wrote:

> Huang Zhiteng wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 12:05 PM, Joshua Harlow <harlowja at fastmail.com
>> <mailto:harlowja at fastmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Huang Zhiteng wrote:
>>
>>         In eBay, we did some inhouse change to Nova so that our big data
>>         type of
>>         use case can have physical disks as ephemeral disk for this type
>> of
>>         flavors.  It works well so far.   My 2 cents.
>>

>>     Is there a published patch (or patchset) anywhere that people can
>>     look at for said in-house changes?
>>

>> Unfortunately no, but I think we can publish it if there are enough
>> interests.  However, I don't think that can be easily adopted onto
>> upstream Nova since it depends on other in-house changes we've done to
>> Nova.
>>

> Is there any blog, or other that explains the full bunch of changes that
> ebay has done (u got me curious)?
>
> The nice thing about OSS is that if u just get the patchsets out (even to
> github or somewhere), those patches may trigger things to change to match
> your usecase better just by the nature of people being able to read them;
> but if they are never put out there, then well ya, it's a little hard to
> get anything to change.

> Anything stopping a full release of all in-house changes?
>
> Even if they are not 'super great quality' it really doesn't matter :)

Apology for sidetracking the topic a bit.  While we encourage our engineers
to embrace community and open source, I think we didn't do a good job to
actually emphasize that.  'Time To Market' is another factor, usually a
feature requirement becomes deployed service in 2,3 sprint (4~6 weeks), but
you know how much can be done in same amount of time in community,
especially with Nova. :)

> -Josh

Regards
Huang Zhiteng