[openstack-dev] [kolla][fuel][tripleo] Reference architecture to deploy OpenStack on k8s

Joshua Harlow harlowja at fastmail.com
Fri Sep 23 15:44:49 UTC 2016

Flavio Percoco wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I've recently started looking into the container technologies around
> OpenStack.
> More specifically, I've been looking into the tools that allow for
> deploying
> OpenStack on containers, which is what I'm the most interested in right
> now as
> part of the TripleO efforts.
>
> I'm familiar with the Kolla project and the tools managed by this team.
> In fact,
> TripleO currently uses kolla images for the containerized nova-compute
> deployment.
>
> I am, however, looking beyond a docker based deployment. I'd like to
> explore in
> more depth a Kubernetes based deployment of OpenStack. I'm familiar with
> both
> kolla-kubernetes and fuel-ccp, their structure and direction*. Both
> projects
> have now advanced a bit in their implementations and made some decisions.
>
> As someone that started looking into this topic just recently, I'd love
> to see
> our communities collaborate more wherever possible. For example, it'd be
> great
> to see us working on a reference architecture for deploying OpenStack on
> kubernetes, letting the implementation details aside for a bit. I'd
> assume some
> folks have done this already and I bet we can all learn more from it if
> we work
> on this together.

Can u describe here what u think 'deploying OpenStack on kubernetes'
means to you, what is the boundary of OpenStack and what is the boundary
of kubernetes in your mind? For example where does ironic fit in your
view; where does nova fit in your view also. Is nova going to be
deployed ontop of kubernetes and VM's will be spun up where? What about
the baremetal (or VMs?) that kubernetes would need to run on (where is
that coming from?).

To me the 'OpenStack on kubernetes' is not really something a simple
statement can answer, so I'd like to know what u think that statement
means :)

Btw, there is a sig-openstack in k8s, they also have a slack channel,
and a google group
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/kubernetes-sig-openstack (I'm not such
a big fan of requiring people to find slack or google groups, but it is
what it is...)

Overall +1 to 'communities collaborate more wherever possible'

I was trying to setup a keystone meeting with the sig-auth folks (I
guess sig-auth is pretty much the equivalent of the keystone group in
k8s); and someone is more than welcome to take that over (but again it
depends on where in your mind a thing like keystone lives after put
ontop/underneath/inside/all-around k8s+openstack).

-Josh