[openstack-dev] [ptl] code churn and questionable changes

Amrith Kumar amrith at tesora.com
Thu Sep 22 16:19:15 UTC 2016

Joshua,

I think Steve and you may be missing the point of my email. It *IS* because I want to be open and inviting that I even asked the question, and what I'm asking for is how to deal with it.

All Steve says is " The fact that a new-to-openstack contributor would make such and error doesn’t warrant such a negative response even if it a hassle for the various PTLs and core reviewer teams to deal with".

I'm not proposing a negative response, I'm asking how to deal with it.

What, for example, does one do if a patch is proposed virtually identically in a half dozen (or two dozen) projects by someone and is totally bat-shit crazy? Merely -1'ing it and offering to help in a private email is not really the answer. I've tried it.

Having a file in the projects repo that talks about guidelines for contributions isn't it either. We have one of those. It is up to the contributor to read it; yes, I can keep pointing contributors to that but this is a systemic problem which I'm hoping to address.

What does one do when a contributor continually proposes one line changes that fix typos in comments (yes, really). At some point, these changes (while absolutely, and unarguably valid) begin to be a drag on the community.

What I'm asking for is something, something that may cross project boundaries, that will help bring contributors onto openstack, and rapidly bring them to the point where they are contributing at a level that materially benefits the project(s).

-amrith