[openstack-dev] [tripleo][ci] Temporary increase for the OVB undercloud instance memory

James Slagle james.slagle at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 16:18:37 UTC 2016

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 10:36 AM, Gabriele Cerami <gcerami at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As reported on this bug
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/tripleo/+bug/1626483
>
> HA gate and periodic jobs for master and sometimes newton started to
> fail for errors related to memory shortage. Memory on undercloud
> instance was increased to 8G less than a month ago, so the problem
> needs a different approach to be solved.
>
> We have some solutions in store. However, with the release date so
> close, I don't think it's time for this kind of changes. So I thought
> it could be a good compromise to temporarily increase the undercloud
> instance memory to 12G, just for this week, unless there's a rapid way
> to reduce memory footprint for heat-engine (usually the biggest memory
> consumer on the undercloud instance)
>
> Any other ideas ?

The OOM error in the bug is from overcloud-controller-0, not the
undercloud. The overcloud nodes in OVB are still at 6GB. I think it
would be reasonable to increase those to 8GB as well.

I also noticed that there are 4 neutron-server processes despite
having NeutronWorkers: 1 in
https://github.com/openstack-infra/tripleo-ci/blob/master/test-environments/worker-config.yaml.
If we can get that down to 1, looks like that might save around 270MB.

It also looks like there are 2 nova-api workers despite having
NovaWorkers: 1. Is that normal? Getting rid of one of them would save
around another 140MB.

--
-- James Slagle