[openstack-dev] [security] [salt] Removal of Security and OpenStackSalt project teams from the Big Tent

Filip Pytloun filip.pytloun at tcpcloud.eu
Thu Sep 22 15:32:27 UTC 2016

Thank you for your feedback - this is first one since we joined Big Tent
and very useful.

On 2016/09/21 17:08, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> Data points so far are:
> 1. No response during Barcelona planning for rooms
> 2. Lack of candidates for PTL election
> 3. No activity in the releases/ repository hence no entries in
> https://releases.openstack.org/

First releases were done during project move and it seems this was
forgotten. Anyway there's new release planned to be done.

> 4. Meetings are not so regular?
> http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/openstack_salt/2016/ (supposed
> to be weekly)

There was decreased activity last few months mostly because one of
members who was leading these meetings temporarily disconnected from the
project and because there wasn't anything on agenda to discuss. Still
these meetings were taken at least 1~2x a month which seemed to be
sufficient.

> 5. Is the specs repo really active?
> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/openstack-salt-specs/ is the
> work being done elsewhere?

Very excessive documentation and other info is at separate developer
pages: http://docs.openstack.org/developer/openstack-salt/
There should be surely new record in specs after new release is made.

> 6. Is there an effort to add stuff to the CI jobs running on openstack
> infrastructure? (can't seem to find much
> http://codesearch.openstack.org/?q=salt&i=nope&files=zuul%2Flayout.yaml&repos=project-config)

There are tests already doing mostly linting (running states in
dry-run). More complex tests are in progress but it takes some time
mostly because used technology is a little bit controversial (there's no
usable standard in saltstack community yet).

> I'll stop here and switch to #openstack-salt channel to help work you
> all through if there is a consensus/willingness from the
> openstack-salt team that there's significant work to be done. If you
> think you are better off not on the governance, that would be your
> call as well.

I think we are going to fix things, to summarize:

 - make new release for Newton + update specs
 - elect new PTL
 - be more active in openstack-dev mailing list (maybe also have
   separate ML just for our team?)

If there's more we can do, we are available at Freenode/#openstack-salt.

--
Filip Pytloun
Cloud Architect

[tcp ◕ cloud]

tcp cloud a.s.
Thamova 16, 180 00  Prague 8

Mobile: +420 776 004 323
E-mail: filip.pytloun at tcpcloud.eu
GPG:    3802 93B1 6CA8 C7A0 695B  8B28 6808 239B 9C72 E61B
Web:    http://www.opentcpcloud.org/