[openstack-dev] [Cinder] FFE request for RBD replication

Gorka Eguileor geguileo at redhat.com
Thu Sep 22 14:53:24 UTC 2016

On 12/09, Sean McGinnis wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 10:24:23AM +0200, Michał Dulko wrote:
> > +1, thanks for taking care of that!
> >
> > On 09/12/2016 03:35 AM, Huang Zhiteng wrote:
> > > +1 for this long-waited feature to land in Newton.
> > >
> > > On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 1:09 AM, Jay S. Bryant
> > > <jsbryant at electronicjungle.net <mailto:jsbryant at electronicjungle.net>>
> > > wrote:
> > >
> > >     +1 from me.  It is making good progress and is low risk.
> > >
> > >     -Jay
> > >

> > >     On 09/09/2016 02:32 PM, Gorka Eguileor wrote:
> > >
> > >         Hi,
> > >
> > >         As some of you may know, Jon Bernard (jbernard on IRC) has
> > >         been working
> > >         on the RBD v2.1 replication implementation [1] for a while,
> > >         and we would
> > >         like to request a Feature Freeze Exception for that work, as
> > >         we believe
> > >         it is a good candidate being a low risk change for the
> > >         integrity of
> > >         the existing functionality in the driver:
> > >
> > >         - It's non intrusive if it's not enabled (enabled using
> > >            replication_device configuration option).
> > >         - It doesn't affect existing deployments (disabled by default).
> > >         - Changes are localized to the driver itself (rbd.py) and the
> > >         driver
> > >            unit tests file (test_rbd.py).
>
> This looks fine to me. My only concern is the risk accepting it would
> introduce, but as you point out that risk is low and should be well
> contained. I think it should be fine to still get this in.
>

> > >         Jon would have liked to make this request himself, but due to the
> > >         untimely arrival of his newborn baby this is not possible.
> > >
> > >         For obvious reasons Jon will not be available for a little
> > >         while, but
> > >         this will not be a problem, as I am well acquainted with the
> > >         code -and
> > >         I'll be able to reach Jon if necessary- and will be taking
> > >         care of the
> > >         final steps of the review process of his patch: replying to
> > >         comments in
> > >         a timely fashion, making changes to the code as required, and
> > >         answering
> > >         pings on IRC regarding the patch.
> > >
> > >         Since some people may be interested in testing this
> > >         functionality during
> > >         the reviewing process -or just for fun- I'll be publishing a
> > >         post with
> > >         detailed explanation on how to deploy and test this feature as
> > >         well as
> > >         an automated way to deploy 2 Ceph clusters -linked to be
> > >         mirroring one
> > >         another-, and one devstack node with everything ready to test the
> > >         functionality (configuration and keys for the Ceph clusters,
> > >         cinder
> > >         configuration, the latest upstream patch, and a volume type
> > >         with the
> > >         right configuration).
> > >
> > >         Please, do not hesitate to ask if there are any questions to
> > >         or concerns
> > >         related to this request.

> [...]

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in publishing promised post about testing the RBD
replication patch, but I was on PTO last week and just came back on Tuesday.

I've just published the post [1] for those interested in knowing more
about RBD replication.

The post explains how to automatically deploy and configure everything
needed for the tests as well as what can be expected of specific
operations and how to check that it's working fine.

Cheers,
Gorka.

[1]: http://gorka.eguileor.com/ceph-replication/