[openstack-dev] [kolla][fuel][tripleo] Reference architecture to deploy OpenStack on k8s

Davanum Srinivas davanum at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 14:09:34 UTC 2016

Flavio

Please see below:

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 7:04 AM, Flavio Percoco <flavio at redhat.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I've recently started looking into the container technologies around
> OpenStack.
> More specifically, I've been looking into the tools that allow for deploying
> OpenStack on containers, which is what I'm the most interested in right now
> as
> part of the TripleO efforts.
>
> I'm familiar with the Kolla project and the tools managed by this team. In
> fact,
> TripleO currently uses kolla images for the containerized nova-compute
> deployment.
>
> I am, however, looking beyond a docker based deployment. I'd like to explore
> in
> more depth a Kubernetes based deployment of OpenStack. I'm familiar with
> both
> kolla-kubernetes and fuel-ccp, their structure and direction*. Both projects
> have now advanced a bit in their implementations and made some decisions.
>
> As someone that started looking into this topic just recently, I'd love to
> see
> our communities collaborate more wherever possible. For example, it'd be
> great
> to see us working on a reference architecture for deploying OpenStack on
> kubernetes, letting the implementation details aside for a bit. I'd assume
> some
> folks have done this already and I bet we can all learn more from it if we
> work
> on this together.
>
> So, let me go ahead and ask some further questions here, I might be missing
> some
> history and/or context:
>
> - Is there any public documentation that acts as a reference architecture
> for
>  deploying OpenStack on kubernetes?
> - Is this something the architecture working group could help with? Or would
> it
>  be better to hijack one of kolla meetings?
>
> The restult I'd love to see from this collaboration is a reference
> architecture
> explaining how OpenStack should be run on Kubernetes.

At this moment, fuel-ccp-* is an experiment, it's not under
governance, there is no expectation of any releases, there are no
specs or docs that i know of. So kolla/kolla-kubernetes is probably
the best accumulator of kubernetes knowledge specifically about
running openstack.

Note that tcpcloud folks may also have something, but haven't seen any
public information or reference architecture from them. Definitely
don't know of any plans from that team as well to open up and share.

> Thanks in advance. I look forward to see us collaborate more on this area,
> Flavio
>
> * thanks to all fuel and kolla contributors that helped me understand better
> the
>  work in each of these projects and the direction they are headed
> .
> --
> @flaper87
> Flavio Percoco