[openstack-dev] [ptl] code churn and questionable changes

Ian Cordasco sigmavirus24 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 13:39:04 UTC 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven Dake (stdake) <stdake at cisco.com>
Date: September 22, 2016 at 01:29:14
Subject:  Re: [openstack-dev] [ptl] code churn and questionable changes

> Folks,
>
> We want to be inviting to new contributors even if they are green. New contributors reflect
> on OpenStack’s growth in a positive way. The fact that a new-to-openstack contributor
> would make such and error doesn’t warrant such a negative response even if it a hassle
> for the various PTLs and core reviewer teams to deal with. This is one of the many aspects
> of OpenStack projects a PTL is elected to manage (mentorship). If mentorship isn’t in
> a leader’s personal mission, I’m not sure they should be leading anything.

Mentorship is absolutely the responsibility of the core team and PTL. What is your preferred solution here? Would you prefer we accept patches that are not beneficial and cause code churn? I know of several people who often reach out (off list) to try to mentor these folks towards more positive and constructive contributions.

--
Ian Cordasco