[openstack-dev] [oslo][nova] Anyone interested in writing a policy generator sphinx extension?

Joshua Harlow harlowja at fastmail.com
Wed Sep 21 20:18:59 UTC 2016

Andrew Laski wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 21, 2016, at 03:18 PM, Joshua Harlow wrote:
>> Andrew Laski wrote:

>>> Sure. Or have Keystone be a frontend for ansible/puppet/chef/.... What's
>>> not clear to me in any of this is what's the benefit to having Keystone
>>> as a fronted to policy configuration/changes, or be involved in any real
>>> way with authorization decisions? What issue is being solved by getting
>>> Keystone involved?
>>>
>> I don't understand the puppet/chef connection, can u clarify.
>>
>> If I'm interpreting it right, I would assume it's the same reason that
>> something like 'skydns' exists over etcd; to provide a useful API that
>> focuses on the dns particulars that etcd will of course not have any
>> idea about. So I guess the keystone API could(?)/would(?) then focus on
>> policy particulars as its value-add.
>>
>> Maybe now I understand what u mean by puppet/chef, in that you are
>> asking why isn't skydns (for example) just letting/invoking
>> puppet/chef/ansible to distribute/send-out dns (dnsmasq) files? Is that
>> your equivalent question?
>
> I'm focused on Nova/Keystone/OpenStack here, I'm sure skydns has good
> reasons for their technical choices and I'm in no place to question
> them.
>
> I'm trying to understand the value-add that Keystone could provide here.
> Policy configuration is fairly static so I'm not understanding the
> desire to put an API on top of it. But perhaps I'm missing the use case
> here which is why I've been asking.
>
> My ansible/puppet/chef comparison was just that those are ways to
> distribute static files and would work just as well as something built
> on top of etcd/zookeeper. I'm not really concerned about how it's
> implemented though. I'm just trying to understand if the desire is to
> have Keystone handle this so that deployers don't need to work with
> their configuration management system to configure policy files, or is
> there something more here?

Gotcha, thanks for explaining.

I'll let others comment, but my semi-useful/semi-baked thoughts around
this are as a user I would want to:

#1 Can I query keystone (or perhaps I should ask nova) to show me what
(all the) APIs in nova I'm allowed to call (without actually having to
perform those same calls to figure it out); ie, tell me how my known
role/user/tenant in <something> maps to the policy stored (somewhere in
some project) so I can make smart decisions around which APIs I can be
calling.

#2 Can I go to one place (the same place that has my roles and tenants
and such?) and ensure that by changing roles or such that dependent
systems that may have meanings for those roles are not adversely
affected (or say makes a policy being used become invalid, ie similar to
a error saying 'the change you have requested violates the rules defined
in 'nova policy' and therefore is invalid and can't be applied').

The #1 kind of use-case of course would be really easy if keystone has
the knowledge of each projects 'policy.json' (or equivalent data
structure); and since keystone already has the role/user/tenant
information it would be straightforward to solve #2 there as well
(because keystone could reject a role change or tenancy change or user
change or ... if it negatively/violates affects some projects policy).

Of course if u distribute the policy information then each project would
have to implement #1 and there would need to be some 2 way mechanism to
ensure #2 happens correctly (because if keystone just blindly does
role/user/tenant changes it may violate a projects policy definition).

Just my current thoughts, I'm sure there are other thoughts around
distributing vs centralizing and so-on (just hoping that we can think
past the view that centralizing doesn't really have to imply that
keystone has to be called for every single REST API called as a
precursor, if we use systems like etcd/zookeeper/... smartly).

-Josh