[openstack-dev] [cinder][sahara] LVM vs BDD drivers performance tests results

John Griffith john.griffith8 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 15:48:52 UTC 2016

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 9:06 AM, Duncan Thomas <duncan.thomas at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 20 September 2016 at 16:24, Nikita Konovalov <nkonovalov at mirantis.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> From Sahara (and Hadoop workload in general) use-case the reason we used
>> BDD was a complete absence of any overhead on compute resources
>> utilization.
>>
>> The results show that the LVM+Local target perform pretty close to BDD in
>> synthetic tests. It's a good sign for LVM. It actually shows that most of
>> the storage virtualization overhead is not caused by LVM partitions and
>> drivers themselves but rather by the iSCSI daemons.
>>
>> So I would still like to have the ability to attach partitions locally
>> bypassing the iSCSI to guarantee 2 things:
>> * Make sure that lio processes do not compete for CPU and RAM with VMs
>> running on the same host.
>> * Make sure that CPU intensive VMs (or whatever else is running nearby)
>> are not blocking the storage.
>>

> So these are, unless we see the effects via benchmarks, completely
> meaningless requirements. Ivan's initial benchmarks suggest that LVM+LIO is
> pretty much close enough to BDD even with iSCSI involved. If you're aware
> of a case where it isn't, the first thing to do is to provide proof via a
> reproducible benchmark. Otherwise we are likely to proceed, as John
> suggests, with the assumption that local target does not provide much
> benefit.
>
> I've a few benchmarks myself that I suspect will find areas where getting
> rid of iSCSI is benefit, however if you have any then you really need to
> step up and provide the evidence. Relying on vague claims of overhead is
> now proven to not be a good idea.

> ​Honestly we can have both, I'll work up a bp to resurrect the idea of a
"smart" scheduling feature that lets you request the volume be on the same
node as the compute node and use it directly, and then if it's NOT it will
attach a target and use it that way (in other words you run a stripped down
c-vol service on each compute node).

Sahara keeps insisting on being a snow-flake with Cinder volumes and the
block driver, it's really not necessary.  I think we can compromise just a
little both ways, give you standard Cinder semantics for volumes, but allow
you direct acccess to them if/when requested, but have those be flexible
enough that targets *can* be attached so they meet all of the required
functionality and API implementations.  This also means that we don't have
to continue having a *special* driver in Cinder that frankly only works for
one specific use case and deployment.

I've pointed to this a number of times but it never seems to resonate...
but I never learn so I'll try it once again [1].  Note that was before the
name "brick" was hijacked and now means something completely different.

[1]: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/CinderBrick

Thanks,
John​