[openstack-dev] [api] API Usability study at Barcelona Summit

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Tue Sep 20 09:39:57 UTC 2016

On Mon, 19 Sep 2016, Kruithof Jr, Pieter wrote:

> I was planning to run a usability study on behalf of the API working
> group at the Barcelona summit.     The plan is to have operators
> complete a set of common tasks, such as adjusting quotas, using the
> projects APIs.

Since you're intending to use python-openstackclient as the client
in this tests, it sounds like you'll be doing a usability study of
that client. This is a great thing to do, but you should be aware
that you'll probably want a contact from the developers of that client
as well as or instead of someone from the API-WG.

The API-WG, of late, has mostly been concerned with the correctness
of the HTTP interactions that the OpenStack APIs allow. Since the
openstackclient abstracts these interactions the kinds of data that
we'll find most use from tests using the client include:

* are the resources made available by the APIs (and thus the actions
   that can be performed by the client) the right ones
* are the modes of filtering, sorting, limiting adequate
* are their inconsistencies in the service APIs that cause there to
   be inconsistencies in the behaviour of the client

I'm sure there are plenty more, that's just off the top of my head.

> Chris,
>
> Were you still able to act as my contact?

Yes. Unfortunately, of the three api-wg cores, I'm the only one who
has been able to make plans to go to summit.

> I’ve created an etherpad to begin planning the study:
>
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/osux-api-oct2016
>
> Thanks,

Thank you.

--