[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Getting rid of ISO

Vladimir Kozhukalov vkozhukalov at mirantis.com
Mon Sep 19 10:47:39 UTC 2016

Ruijing,

In a nutshell, the guide would be
0) install vanilla Centos 7
1) install fuel-release package (it configures necessary yum repos)
wget
http://packages.fuel-infra.org/repositories/centos/master-centos7/snapshots/os-2016-09-19-093900/x86_64/Packages/fuel-release-10.0.0-1.mos6376.git.a8c98d0.noarch.rpm
rpm -Uvh fuel-release-10.0.0-1.mos6376.git.a8c98d0.noarch.rpm
2) install fuel-setup package
yum install fuel-setup
3) run bootstrap script (be aware, that bootstrap script reconfigures some
of system parameters)
/usr/sbin/bootstrap_admin_node.sh

I'll describe the whole procedure on the Fuel wiki page. Fuel deployment
procedure is to be improved in Ocata.

Regarding your previous question about docker image, we are not planning to
provide a single Fuel docker image (docker containers are not VMs).
Container is an isolated process and Fuel assumes we run multiple processes
(API, RPC, etc.). Given that, Fuel should be a set of docker containers. We
used to run Fuel in containers, but those were kind of mess when we ran
puppet when building images and we put those images inside rpms and inside
ISO. We definitely don't want to have something like this again. But if you
use Docker images that are built from pure Dockerfiles (not using puppet,
from source code) and publishing them on docker registry that could be a
way to provide development environment (for plugin developers it could be
super convenient). Yes, that was in our plans for Newton, but we didn't
manage to implement this. Maybe in Ocata.

Vladimir Kozhukalov