[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-I18n] [horizon] Question on a singular/plural string use in openstack_dashboard

Akihiro Motoki amotoki at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 22:21:24 UTC 2016

Hi Ian,

gettext itself allows this pattern [1] but django compilemessage
expects variables with same names are used in all plural forms (See
Note in [2]).
IMHO it is better to use same variables in all plural forms in code as
possible as we can.
As translator, I try to use the second pattern (i.e., plural form) as
source string as a plural form contains sufficient and full pattern in
most cases.
What I am not sure is this happens only for languages with nplural==1
(like Korean, Japanese and so on).

Akihiro

[1] https://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/html_node/Translating-plural-forms.html#Translating-plural-forms
[2] https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.10/topics/i18n/translation/#pluralization