[openstack-dev] [keystone][ptl][election] PTL candidacy

Steve Martinelli s.martinelli at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 05:41:14 UTC 2016

Hey everyone,

I'd like to continue to serve as the PTL of the keystone project for the
Ocata release. I served as PTL of the keystone project for the Mitaka and
Newton development cycles. I find the role to be extremely rewarding, and
would be honoured to continue to serve in the same capacity, if you'll have
me.

During the Mitaka development cycle we accomplished many blueprints and hit
some important goals, here are a few off the top of my head:

  - Python 3 compatibility (for unit tests)
  - Credential encryption
  - PCI support for passwords
  - Running migration tests on non-sqlite backends
  - API docs are migrated and fully updated
  - Introduced the `keystone doctor` helper

For the Ocata release I'd like to take advantage the short development
cycle to aggressively pay down some of the technical debt we've accumulated
and also improve user and operator experience. I'd like to limit new
features to a minimum (maybe 3-5) my short list is the following:

  - Multi Factor Auth (MFA) support
  - Improving the federated identity mapping engine
  - Tackle the issue with long running operations timing out
  - Handle federated authentication without apache libraries
  - Functional tests with non-standard deployments (ldap, federated
identity)

With the exception of MFA support, all the features listed above match the
theme of paying down technical debt or improving user experience.

>From a non-technical perspective, I'd like to do the following:

  - Improve communication and engagement with our direct downstream
consumers (OSA, tripleo, etc)
  - Continue to work with operators. Create specifications based on real
world use cases that are driven by operators facing issues with
performance, usability, scalability, and upgrades.
  - Appoint a bug czar or perform weekly bug triages and monthly bug
squashes

Lastly, I'd like to thank anyone that contributed to keystone during the
Newton release. I'm very excited for what Ocata will bring and look forward
to working on it in any capacity.

Thanks for reading,
stevemar

Link to the election repo change: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/371899/