[openstack-dev] [Solum] PTL candidacy

Devdatta Kulkarni kulkarni.devdatta at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 17:31:34 UTC 2016

Hi,

I would like to submit my candidacy to continue as PTL of Solum for Ocata
cycle.

In Newton cycle we made progress in several key areas. Here are the
highlights.

1) We completed work on our Horizon dashboard. It is now possible to perform
   all languagepack and app operations through the dashboard. I would like
   acknowledge and thank Swati Dewan and Zhu Rong for spearheading this
work.

2) We continued building and experimenting with different options for doing
app builds
   and deployments. In Mitaka cycle we had worked on a feature that enabled
Solum to
   perform app deployments in tandem with existing CI systems such as
Jenkins that can
   do app builds.
   In Newton, following new ideas were investigated:
   - Building applications as VM images and deploying them (thanks Erik
Schilling)
   - Building applications as Unikernels (thanks shivaSR, mvle)
   - Building applications as Docker containers and deploying to VMs
(CoreOS) (thanks Wei Cao)
   We also completed the feature that enables application build and deploy
upon receiving github
   triggers by Solum.

   You can find screencasts demonstrating these features on Solum wiki
   (https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Solum), under "Resources" section.

3) We gained several new contributors, some of whom are on their way to
becoming cores.

For the Ocata cycle, some of the ideas that we can pursue together include:
- Making it easy for operators to configure and use different build and
deployment options
- Adding support to deploy applications to container orchestration systems
- Support for using public Docker images, in addition to Solum
languagepacks, to build
  applications

Along with these, we need to keep working on and improving our
documentation, test coverage,
and installation tooling. (If you are interested in helping out with any of
these, please reach out to our team on IRC (#solum on chat.freenode.net)).

Best regards,
Devdatta Kulkarni