[openstack-dev] [requirements][release][FFE] Request for netaddr>=0.7.13 bump in g-r

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Thu Sep 15 14:36:05 UTC 2016

On 09/15/2016 10:30 AM, Matthew Thode wrote:
> On 09/15/2016 09:09 AM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
>> There was a change introduced to nova in newton which requires a minimum
>> of netaddr 0.7.13. We've been testing with 0.7.18 from upper-constraints
>> so bumping the minimum from 0.7.12 to 0.7.13 shouldn't cause any issues.
>>
>> The g-r change is here:
>>
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/370833/
>>
>> We're not going to revert the nova change since that would be riskier at
>> this point in the cycle since it landed before n-2.
>>

> This is a hard ask and I can't really support it, mainly because of all
> the things it impacts this late in the cycle.  Is there ANY way we can
> not merge this?
>
> just some of the things that would need to be re-released
>

> networking-ovn (just had their rc1)
> os-net-config
> os-vif
> oslo.config
> oslo.serialization
> oslo.utils
> oslo.versionedobjects
> oslo.vmware
> python-neutronclient
> wsme

Actually, there is very little this impacts. Basically no systems use
the g-r minimum except as a code comment. Yes, it will produce a patch
to be merged on those projects, however the only project that needs to
merge in is Nova, it's the only project that uses the function that will
actually explode at that level.

Given this is the lowest risk way to address this issue, far less risky
than a barely tested Nova workaround, this is really the way things
should move forward.

Nothing is harmed in the release if there is a mix of 0.7.12 / 0.7.13
minimums. Doug is even proposing that we explicitly allow situations
like that for the next cycle. Projects can merge and catch up in
stable/newton post release if we feel consistency is important.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net