[openstack-dev] [oslo.db] [release] opportunistic tests breaking randomly

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Wed Sep 14 16:59:47 UTC 2016

On 09/14/2016 11:23 AM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 09/14/2016 03:15 PM, Sean Dague wrote:
>> I noticed the following issues happening quite often now in the
>> opportunistic db tests for nova -
>> http://logstash.openstack.org/#dashboard/file/logstash.json?query=message%3A%5C%22sqlalchemy.exc.ResourceClosedError%5C%22
>>

>> It looks like some race has been introduced where the various db
>> connections are not fully isolated from each other like they used to be.
>> The testing magic for this is buried pretty deep in oslo.db.
>>
>> Olso.db 4.13.3 did hit the scene about the time this showed up. So I
>> think we need to strongly consider blocking it and revisiting these
>> issues post newton.
>>
>> 	-Sean
>
> Blocking a version of oslo.db just because of your 6th sense tells you
> it may have introduce some issues isn't the best way to decide. We need
> a better investigation than just this, and find the root cause.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Thomas Goirand (zigo)

Sure, but investigations all start with hypothesis, which is then proved
/ disproved, and we move on. Given that we're in RC week, and we've had
library releases after the freeze point, it's reasonable to see if
rolling back to previous versions mitigate things.

Root cause analysis may take more time, and need different folks, than
the RC period allows. So given imperfect information we need to consider
what the safest path forward is.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague