[openstack-dev] [kolla] warning about PBR issue for kolla operators

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Tue Sep 13 23:33:04 UTC 2016

Hey folks,

The quickstart guide was modified as a result of a lot of painful debugging over the last cycle approximately a month ago.  The only solution available to us was to split the workflow into an operator workflow (working on stable branches) and a developer workflow (working on master).  We recognize operators are developers and the docs indicate as much.  Many times operators want to work with master as they are evaluating Newton and planning to place it into production.

I’d invite folks using master with the pip install ./ method to have a re-read of the quickstart documentation. The documentation was changed in subtle ways (with warning and info boxes) but folks that have been using Kolla prior to the quckstart change may be using kolla in the same way the quickstart previously recommended.  Folks tend to get jammed up on this issue – we have helped 70-100 people work past this problem before we finally sorted out a workable solution (via documentation).

The real issue lies in how PBR operates and pip interacts with Kolla and is explained in the quickstart.  From consulting with Doug Hellman and others in the release team, it appears the issue that impacts Kolla is not really solveable within PBR itself.  (I don’t mean to put words in Doug’s mouth, but that is how I parsed our four+ hour discussion) on the topic.

The documentation is located here:
http://docs.openstack.org/developer/kolla