[openstack-dev] [charms]Running two haproxy-using units on same machine?

James Page james.page at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 13 19:46:05 UTC 2016

Hi Neil

On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 at 20:43 Neil Jerram <neil at tigera.io> wrote:

> Should it be possible to run two OpenStack charm units, that both use
> haproxy to load balance their APIs, on the same machine?  Or is there some
> doc somewhere that says that a case like that should use separate machines?
>
> (I'm asking in connection with the bug report at
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-charm-testing/+bug/1622697.)

No - that's not currently possible.  For example, if you try to place both
nova-cloud-controller and cinder units on the same machine, they both
assume sole control over haproxy.cfg and will happily trample each others
changes.

There is a doc somewhere - I'll dig it out and add to the charm-guide on
docs.openstack.org.

Solution: use a LXC or LXD container for each service, assuring sole
control of the filesystem for each charm, avoiding said conflict.

Cheers

James