[openstack-dev] [cinder] moving driver to open source

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Sep 13 13:13:47 UTC 2016

On 2016-09-12 23:44:10 -0400 (-0400), Ben Swartzlander wrote:
[...]
> I don't understand how you can have this stance while tolerating the
> existence of such things as the VMware driver. That software (ESXi)
> absolutely requires a license to use or distribute.

If it has to be installed on the same server as Nova, then I agree
that's a pretty sketchy situation. If you can keep Nova on separate
machines from your VMware "appliances" and have them communicate via
some sort of RPC, then it's not much different from orchestrating a
SAN or NAS over a hardware (network) interface boundary.
--
Jeremy Stanley