[openstack-dev] [Congress] Default devstack deployment config

Eric K ekcs.openstack at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 01:32:16 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I want to get people¹s thoughts regarding what we should set as default
devstack deployment config for Ocata.
At the moment, it is set to deploy three processes: API, policy, and
datasource-drivers.

I see some potential arguments against that:
1. For most users installing via devstack, running Congress in three
processes bring little benefit, but rather a more complex and less stable
user experience. (Even if our code is perfect, rabbitMQ will timeout every
now and then)
2. It¹s not clear that we want to officially support separating the API from
the policy engine at this point. The supported deployment options for HAHT
do not need it.
The main argument I see for deploying three processes by default is that we
may get more bug reports regarding the multi-process deployment that way.

Our main options for devstack default are:
1. Single-process Congress (with in-mem transport).
2. Two-process Congress API+Policy, datasource-drivers. (other breakdowns
between two processes are also possible)
3. Three-process Congress.

In the end, I think it¹s a trade-off: potentially getting more bug reports
from users, at the expense of a more complex and less polished user
experience that could make a poor first impression. What does everyone
think?

Personally, I slightly favor defaulting to single process Congress because
from a typical devstack user¹s perspective, there is little reason to run
separate processes. In addition, because it is the first time we¹re
releasing our complete architecture overhaul to the wild, and it may be a
good to default to the least complex deployment for the first cycle of the
new architecture.