[openstack-dev] [chef] Chef PTL candidacy

Samuel Cassiba s at cassiba.com
Mon Sep 12 21:37:31 UTC 2016

Hello everyone,

I would like to announce my candidacy to continue as OpenStack Chef
PTL for the Ocata release.[0]

===== State of the Kitchen =====

Over the Newton cycle, we said good bye to some contributors, and
hello to others. It slowed our overall output, but Stackalytics shows
that we still get through about 2 reviews per day. Not impressive
numbers, I know, but like LA traffic, as long as it doesn't come to a
stop, it's a good thing. Though we're down to just two cores, we're
still iterating, and have even gained some new contributors in the
process.

In Newton, we had some pretty big deliverables:

- Ubuntu 16.04
- python-openstackclient
- Identity v3
- newer ChefDKs (0.17.17 at the time of this writing)
- client cookbook based on fog-openstack
- refactor the telemetry cookbook to introduce Gnocchi
- as always, better integration

As of today, several of those things are still in implementation and
review. We're slowly gaining momentum again with the close of the
Newton cycle upon us. With the Ocata cycle being shorter, we have even
less time to get things in shape, but we'll get there.

===== The Future =====

My goals for the Ocata cycle are to:
- continue getting integration to an unbroken state so that it can be
relied upon for upstream and downstream build health
- furthering the documentation efforts that took place during Mitaka
- get more people familiar with the project to the point where we can
promote some of them to core

As far as process goes, I don't anticipate any big sweeping process
changes for the project over the next cycle. The processes that we
have agreed to seem to be working thus far.

With the Ocata cycle, I want to focus more on engaging new developers
and understanding their obstacles, to ensure that people can get
started deploying OpenStack and hacking on cookbooks.

I look forward to continuing to steer the OpenStack Chef cookbooks as
well as collaborating with other projects within the greater OpenStack
project.

Yours,

Samuel Cassiba

[0] https://review.openstack.org/369027