[openstack-dev] [glance] Periodically checking Glance image files

Sergio A. de Carvalho Jr. scarvalhojr at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 20:18:35 UTC 2016

Hi Nikhil,

Thanks so much for you response.

1) No, this is a private cloud.
2) Glance v1 (this problem has manifested itself in one of our oldest
deployments, which is running Icehouse).
3) No, location is not exposed.
4) Glance is setup with the filesystem backend drive, using a Gluster
volume mounted on the host..
5.1) Images were in active state, even though the image file had zero bytes.
5.2) very low, it may have happened only twice in the last year.

Even if the location is not exposed, there are a number of things that can
happen to the actual images files after they've been uploaded to Glance,
without Glance noticing, depending how reliable your storage backend is.
That's why I thought, in some circumstances, it would be useful to have
some sort of background service checking that image files haven't been
corrupted or gone missing altogether.

Sergio