[openstack-dev] [glance] Periodically checking Glance image files

Nikhil Komawar nik.komawar at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 18:27:20 UTC 2016

Hi Sergio,

Thanks for reaching out. And this is an excellent question.

Firstly, I'd like to mention that Glance is built-in (and if deployed
correctly) is self-resilient in ensuring that you do NOT need an audit
of such files. In fact, if any operator (particularly large scale
operator) needs such a system we have a serious issue where potentially
important /user/ data is likely to be lost resulting in legal issues (so
please beware).

Having said that, I'd like to start investigating more into your
particular issue and see where we may be missing out in ensuring data
integrity in Glance. Let me ask you a first few set of questions that
will help us get an initial understanding:-

1) Are you a public cloud vendor; in particular, have you deployed
glance to potentially non-trusted users? or is the case otherwise?
2) Are you deploying Glance v1 or Glance v2?
3) Have you exposed the "location" feature set (CRUD) to regular users?
(if using API v2, have you enabled ``show_multiple_locations``
configuration)
4) What backends have you configured Glance with and who has access to
them? What is the resiliency or rotation (of disks) (for say capacity
management) of your backend store system?
5) Sanity check on your issue:-
5.1) What are the image statues for which the image data files are missing?
5.2) What is the rate of error approximately (if you don't have
specifics, info like rare, medium, often will help)

We may have to dig a bit further into the issue but this set of info
should help us narrow down the issue and determine if there are any gaps
in Glance.

P.S. Please use the tag "[glance]" in the subject line to help us get to
your email faster.