[openstack-dev] [Cinder] PTL candidacy

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Mon Sep 12 13:38:31 UTC 2016

Hello everyone,

I would like to announce my candidacy to continue as Cinder PTL for the Ocata
release.

The Cinder project has made great strides over the last several releases
adding functionality and improving stability. I think we have a very active
team and love being part of such a strong community.

The Ocata cycle will be a much shorter one than in the past. One thing I would
like to encourage for this release, as much as makes sense, is to focus on
being mostly a bug fix and stabilization cycle. One side effect of all of the
great new work going in recently is there has been a lot of new code introduced
and changes made. There have been fundamental changes in how some things
operate with the the change from rootwrap to privsep. I would like to take
advantage of this shorter concentrated cycle to delay some things in order to
make sure we have a solid foundation to build on.

Not to say there are any major issues with the project, or that there isn't
new work that we do want to get in to Cinder. We have an incredible team that
has been able to introduce some pretty significant code with little to no
impact on the rest of the system. Folks have done a great job manually testing
as well as adding unit and other automated testing to ensure high quality. But
even with code that has been in there untouched for years we still find certain
conditions that bring out issues. It would be great to find some of these now
before we build too much more on top.

Between the Summit and holidays for most over this cycle, Ocata will really be
a short one. But I look forward to seeing how much this team can do, even in
this quick cycle. This could be a lot of fun!

Thank you for your consideration!

Sean