[openstack-dev] [stable] [all] Regarding string freeze and back ports involving translatable strings

Luigi Toscano ltoscano at redhat.com
Mon Sep 12 12:04:36 UTC 2016

On Friday, 9 September 2016 14:12:51 CEST Matt Riedemann wrote:
> On 9/9/2016 1:58 PM, Ben Swartzlander wrote:

> >> The former IMO, a high severity bug fix trumps a translation. Note that
> >> some projects are translated on the stable branches too, I know this is
> >> the case for Nova.
> >>
> >> If it's a user-facing change, like an error message in the API, then it
> >> might require a bit more careful consideration, but if it's just a log
> >> message marked for translation that an end user of the API wouldn't see
> >> anyway, then I think it's fine to backport it.
> >
> > So this stance makes sense to me, but I can't reconcile it with the
> > "hard string freeze" rules. Is the theory that after we release, the
> > string freeze ends for the stable branch, and that the hard string
> > freeze only exists for that 3 week period between RC1 and final release,
> > or is the theory that hard string freeze is always subject to exceptions
> > for "critical" bug fixes?
> >
> I treat it as the former.

Interesting: I'm not a translator in the OpenStack project, but I contribute
as translator to other Free Software communities and I would thought as the
latter as more appropriate. Stable is stable and string changes should be
approved on a case-by-case, otherwise translator's life can be more
complicated especially when the next release is translated.

But as I said I'm not a translator here.

--
Luigi