[openstack-dev] [cinder] moving driver to open source

Avishay Traeger avishay at stratoscale.com
Sat Sep 10 17:55:43 UTC 2016

On Sep 9, 2016 18:13, "Duncan Thomas"
> So my issue is not with any of those things, it is that I believe anybody
should be able to put together a distribution of openstack, that just
works, which any supported backend, without needed to negotiate licensing
deals with vendors, and without having to have nasty hacks in their
installers that pull things down off the web on to cinder nodes to get
around licensing rules. That is one of the main 'opens' to me in openstack.

> I don't care so much whether your CLI or API proxy in open or closed
source, but I really do care if I can create a distribution, even a novel
one, with that software in it, without hitting licensing issues. That is,
as I see it, a bare minimum - anything less than that and it does not
belong in the cinder source tree.

As someone who ships a product that uses these drivers, I can definitely
identity with this. Finding the software, and verifying its license, is at
times not simple for someone who hasn't purchased the product. I personally
don't care if the source code is available, I care that it's readily
available for  download and can be distributed.