[openstack-dev] [poll][kolla] Name of baremetal role/group

Mark Casey markcasey at pointofrental.com
Fri Sep 9 22:52:54 UTC 2016

On 9/9/2016 2:08 PM, Mooney, Sean K wrote:

> [...]

Bah, I'm sorry. I too was thinking this was the name of the subcommand
for kolla-ansible and not just the role and group name. The
"kolla-ansible bootstrap-servers" you mentioned in another message in
this thread is an excellent choice for what I thought we were talking
about. I think the topic drift was mostly a consequence of that
misunderstanding.

>> imho this is really an opportunity to be more consistent with these
>> terms project-wide or (perhaps more reasonably) just work towards
>> making other references match the decision here. We tell a lot of
>> people to start with AIO via vagrant and it (the Vagrantfile - likely
>> the defacto most-read documentation we have)
> [Mooney, Sean K] really I have been using kolla for a while now and I did not
> Even know there was a vagrant file. even if I did know it was there it would
> Be the last thing I would ever think of reading as documentation the quickstart
> Guide and other documentation we have is much more useful. Vagrant certenly would
> Not be my first choice when introducing some new to kolla. you don’t want to have to
> Learn another workflow e.g. vagrats when you are trying to wrap your head around ansible,jinja and docker.

You make a good point and you're hardly alone, but I think the other
group is sizable too. The most common advice I hear is to start with an
AIO kolla deploy which indirectly requires either setting up a physical
box, manually configuring a VM and installing with an ISO, or just
running vagrant up (or maybe a fourth option of running it in an
existing cloud).

In general vagrant has probably seen some decline but it's still really
popular and its users are accustomed to checking for it. A quick search
found official vagrant resources for Kubernetes, Mantl, Elasticsearch,
Openshift, and even a Devstack variant to make multinode easier (and in
the past, it was also one of very few methods that were officially
recommended for running a docker-host VM when not on Linux). Since it
creates a working deploy from a stock Linux VM it can almost be read as
a user manual, and because it does it both aio and multinode I found it
really helpful to see where some of the knobs are in kolla when I started.

> [Mooney, Sean K] > refers to these as the
>> operator host and the nodes, most of the documentation calls them the
>> deployment host and either the target nodes or deployment targets, and
>> this change would make the name of the step to install dependencies on
>> the nodes/target nodes/deployment targets to deploy-host[s] which
>> sounds more like a reference to creating multiple instances of the
>> deployment host/operator (I know, that's not even a thing).
>>
>> Obviously you can't control what Kolla users refer to these components
>> as when asking for help or etc., but I suspect it may be frustrating
>> for them to use different official names as they make their particular
>> progression through stages such as AIO vagrant, AIO baremetal,
>> multinode in VMs, and multinode baremetal (actually, if you're having
>> to read all of these sentences more slowly or even twice because I'm
>> using all of the common terms in all contexts - *that*).  :D

>>> Agreed.
>>>
>>> Martin
>> I think I'm lost on this part. Does 'deploy'/deploy command here refer
>> to 'kolla-ansible deploy' or something else entirely? AFAIK that is
>> still a wholly separate step, unless we were just trying to make it
>> consistent with the role rename at hand.
> [Mooney, Sean K] yes this was a separate topic which Is already tracked by
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/kolla/+bug/1616221
Very cool.

Thank you,
Mark