[openstack-dev] [all] governance proposal worth a visit: Write down OpenStack principles

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Fri Sep 9 20:27:00 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Jay Pipes's message of 2016-09-09 14:30:29 -0400:
> On 09/09/2016 02:10 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> > Excerpts from Jay Pipes's message of 2016-09-09 13:03:42 -0400:
> >> My vote is definitely for something #2-like, as I've said before and on
> >> the review, I believe OpenStack should be a "cloud toolkit" composed of
> >> well-scoped and limited services in the vein of the UNIX model of do one
> >> thing and do it well. I believe that vendors and cloud providers should
> >> be able to choose services and tools from this OpenStack cloud toolkit
> >> to build clouds, cloud products, and products that utilize OpenStack
> >> service APIs to please customers.
> >>
> >> It makes sense for many of those cloud toolkit services and components
> >> to integrate well with each other via public, stable interfaces and
> >> there's nothing about OpenStack being a collection of cloud tools that
> >> prevents or discourages that integration.
> >>
> >> Best,
> >> -jay
> >
> > I don't see a conflict with saying that what we're producing is a
> > set of things that can be composed in different ways depending on
> > need, but that the way we produce them is through a unified community
> > with common practices, tools, and patterns.
>
> Absolutely agree with you above. But note that you say "what we're
> producing is a set of things". You do not say "what we're producing is
> *one* thing", which is what "a single product composed of cooperating
> components" implies and which I don't think is realistic or correct.
>
>  > To me, this statement
> > about One OpenStack is about emphasizing those commonalities and
> > working together to increase them, with the combined goals of
> > improving the user and operator experience of using OpenStack and
> > improving our own experience of making it.
>
> +1000 to the above, and I don't believe anything about my stance that
> OpenStack should be a cloud toolkit goes against that.
>
> The wording/philosophy that I disagree with is the "one product" thing :)

Tomato, tomato.

We're all, I think, looking at this "One OpenStack" principle from
different perspectives.  You say "a toolkit". I say "a project".
Thierry said "a product". The important word in all of those phrases
is "a" -- as in singular.

Doug