[openstack-dev] [kolla] Problem regarding named volume data location

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Fri Sep 9 20:01:57 UTC 2016

I believe what Pual was indicating was

On 9/2/16, 12:59 PM, "Christian Berendt" <berendt at betacloud-solutions.de> wrote:

    > On 02 Sep 2016, at 19:04, Jeffrey Zhang <zhang.lei.fly at gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > I think the right solution should warn the end-user: you need configure a large partition for /var/lib/docker.

    Confirmed. The volumes of Mongodb and of Mariadb are getting pretty big as well. Using /var/lib/nova (or /var/lib/mariadb, ..) on the local filesystem instead of a named volume will change nothing.

    I think it is the best to stay with named volumes and to document the host requirements.

    While using named volumes it is also possible to use alternative Docker volume plugins like Convoy.

Christian.

I believe what Paull was indicating was with /var/lib/nova and /var/lib/mariadb, it is possible to mount /var/lib/nova to /dev/sdb and /var/lib/mariadb to /dev/sdc.  This permits custom sizing of partitions.  I am not in favor – named volumes work with docker natively and permit all lkinds of good activity for the one tradeoff that they must be on the same filesystem and device.

I wonder if Paul’s use case could be met by moutning /var/lib/docker/_volumes/whateer to a specific disk.

The proper answer here is plugins, which can route the named volume to whatever backend storage is desired.  I don’t know if any plugins exist, but the tradeoff of bindmounting the host filesystem without docker manging the volume appears very problematic to me.

Regards
-steve