[openstack-dev] [all] governance proposal worth a visit: Write down OpenStack principles

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Fri Sep 9 18:10:58 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Jay Pipes's message of 2016-09-09 13:03:42 -0400:
> On 09/09/2016 06:22 AM, John Davidge wrote:
> > Thierry Carrez wrote:
> >
> >> [...]
> >> In the last years there were a lot of "questions" asked by random
> >> contributors, especially around the "One OpenStack" principle (which
> >> seems to fuel most of the reaction here). Remarks like "we should really
> >> decide once and for all if OpenStack is a collection of independent
> >> projects, or one thing".
> >>
> >> A lot of people actually ignore that this question was already asked,
> >> pretty early on (by John Dickinson in June 2011). Back then it was
> >> settled by the PPB (the ancestor to the TC). You can read it all
> >> here[1]. It was never brought again as a proposed change to the TC, so
> >> that decision from June 2011 is still defining how we should think about
> >> OpenStack.
> >>
> >> Most of the TC members know the governance history and know those
> >> principles. That is, after all, one of the reasons you elect them for.
> >> But we realized that the people asking those questions again and again
> >> were not at fault. It was our failure to *document* this history
> >> properly which caused the issue. Took us some time to gather the courage
> >> to write it, then finally Monty wrote a draft, and I turned it into a
> >> change.
> >
> > To provide a counter point, I think the reason this question is asked so
> > often is not because the TC has failed to *document* this policy, but that
> > it has failed to *comply* with it.
>
> The TC doesn't comply with anything at all. It's the body that is
> elected to make overarching governance decisions for the OpenStack
> community.
>
> > I¹m of course referring to the introduction of The Big Tent.
>
> And I'm of course going to correct your misstatements below about what
> the Big Tent (formally called the Project Structure Reform) was about.
>
>  > This is the
> > moment that OpenStack stopped being: ³A single product made of a lot of
> > independent, but cooperating, components.² And became: ³A collection of
> > independent projects that work together for some level of integration and
> > releases.²
>
> You are mistaken, I'm sorry to say.
>
> Firstly, your statement that OpenStack stopped being "a single product"
> at some point is just flat-out wrong. It never *was* a single product,
> regardless of whether some time in 2011 seven individuals on the project
> policy board said that that was the direction they preferred the
> community to go in.
>
> OpenStack was never a single product made of a lot of independent but
> cooperating components. From the very beginning of OpenStack-time, Swift
> and Nova were never designed or planned as a single product. To this
> *day*, Swift is its own product with very few pieces of integration with
> some other OpenStack projects where relevant (Keystone) but there was
> never any push or reason to have Swift become simply a "part of a single
> [...]

I don't see a conflict with saying that what we're producing is a
set of things that can be composed in different ways depending on
need, but that the way we produce them is through a unified community
with common practices, tools, and patterns. To me, this statement
about One OpenStack is about emphasizing those commonalities and
working together to increase them, with the combined goals of
improving the user and operator experience of using OpenStack and
improving our own experience of making it.

Doug