[openstack-dev] [all] governance proposal worth a visit: Write down OpenStack principles

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Sep 9 09:18:53 UTC 2016

Joshua Harlow wrote:
> [...]
> This one along with https://review.openstack.org/#/c/365590/ (and others
> that I don't know about?) make me wonder what is going on with/in
> certain TC folks heads (not in a bad way, but the thought processes that
> are spurring these documents to be generated). Why the sudden desire to
> write down principles and intents and 'community' beliefs all of a
> sudden when it has been about 5 (or is it 6 now) years since the
> community started.

I can answer that one.

In the last years there were a lot of "questions" asked by random
contributors, especially around the "One OpenStack" principle (which
seems to fuel most of the reaction here). Remarks like "we should really
decide once and for all if OpenStack is a collection of independent
projects, or one thing".

A lot of people actually ignore that this question was already asked,
pretty early on (by John Dickinson in June 2011). Back then it was
settled by the PPB (the ancestor to the TC). You can read it all
here[1]. It was never brought again as a proposed change to the TC, so
that decision from June 2011 is still defining how we should think about
OpenStack.

Most of the TC members know the governance history and know those
principles. That is, after all, one of the reasons you elect them for.
But we realized that the people asking those questions again and again
were not at fault. It was our failure to *document* this history
properly which caused the issue. Took us some time to gather the courage
to write it, then finally Monty wrote a draft, and I turned it into a
change.

[1]
http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/openstack-meeting/2011/openstack-meeting.2011-06-28-20.06.html

--