[openstack-dev] [stable] [all] Regarding string freeze and back ports involving translatable strings

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Sep 9 00:37:40 UTC 2016

On 9/8/2016 7:05 PM, Ravi, Goutham wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I was looking for some clarity around backports of bug fixes that
> qualify the stable branch policy [1].
> <http://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/stable-branches.html#appropriate-fixes>
> What is the policy if the fix introduces a new translatable string or
> modifies an existing one?
>
> The guidelines in Release management [2]
> <http://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/release-management.html>
> regarding string freeze do not specifically call this scenario out. I
> see that while translatable strings are mostly avoided, some projects
> have been merging changes to stable branches with introduction of new
> translatable strings.
>

> The question is reminiscent of one posed in the ML a few releases ago
> [3];
> <http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-September/073942.html>
> but applies to stable branches. Should we allow changes to translatable
> strings for bug fixes that matter, or is it better to always deny them
> for the sake of translation accuracy?

The former IMO, a high severity bug fix trumps a translation. Note that
some projects are translated on the stable branches too, I know this is
the case for Nova.

If it's a user-facing change, like an error message in the API, then it
might require a bit more careful consideration, but if it's just a log
message marked for translation that an end user of the API wouldn't see
anyway, then I think it's fine to backport it.