[openstack-dev] [Horizon][OSC][Nova][Neutron] Launch instance with Floating IP

Andrew Laski andrew at lascii.com
Thu Sep 8 13:04:17 UTC 2016

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016, at 07:18 AM, Sean Dague wrote:
> On 09/07/2016 07:34 PM, Andrew Laski wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, Sep 7, 2016, at 06:54 PM, Martin Millnert wrote:
> >> On Thu, 2016-09-08 at 09:34 +1200, Adrian Turjak wrote:
> >>  3) core functionality should IMO require as few API calls as possible,
> >> to as few components as possible, while keeping REST data models etc.
> >> intact, [1][2]
> >
> > I agree that it should require as few API calls as possible but maybe we
> > disagree about what core functionality is. Or to put it another way,
> > what is core functionality depends on your perspective.
> >
> > I subscribe to the plumbing and porcelain approach
> > (https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-Internals-Plumbing-and-Porcelain)
> > and believe that Nova should be part of the plumbing. So while I fully
> > agree with a small number of API calls to do simple tasks I don't
> > believe that orchestrating network setups is core functionality in Nova
> > but is core to OpenStack.
>
> Personally, I think that the role of Nova is to give you a functional
> compute unit. If you can't talk to that over the network, that doesn't
> seem very functional to me. For complicated setups it's fine that you
> need to do complicated things, but "I would like a working server with
> network" doesn't feel like it's a complicated ask from the user.

I'd really like to agree here, however it seems that it is actually a
somewhat complicated ask from the user due to the diverse network setups
used in practice.

But I was responding to the idea of booting an instance with a
floating-ip which to me goes beyond setting up a simple default network
for an instance. And I think therein lies the problem, there seems to be
some disagreement as to what a simple default network setup should be.