[openstack-dev] [all] Timeframe for future elections & "Release stewards"

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Sep 7 18:46:58 UTC 2016

On 9/7/2016 11:33 AM, Jim Rollenhagen wrote:

> I like this. As someone that has been PTL for multiple cycles, it is
> incredibly stressful trying to finish the release, start planning for the
> next one, manage summit planning, etc. I'd love to have someone
> designated to manage the release-specific bits of the project, while
> PTLs can worry about the longer-term vision of the project and the
> day-to-day management.
>
> Thanks for writing this up, Thierry. :)
>
> // jim

I don't really see how managing the release-specific bits of the project
as a 'release steward' is different from a release cross-project
liaison. Nova has a release CPL (really more than one probably informally).

I do think it's a bit weird that I've already slotted the Ocata design
summit rooms for Nova when someone else could be PTL, but I don't think
what I'd reserve would be drastically different from someone else in
Nova, this is why we have trust relationships and talk about stuff as a
team.  There was a lot of overlap from Michael to John and from John to
myself and we've shared responsibilities during those transitions.

The release steward concept just seems like unnecessarily complexity and
formality to me, but that's just my opinion. Things might work
differently in other projects.

Matt Riedemann