[openstack-dev] [all] Timeframe for future elections & "Release stewards"

Barrett, Carol L carol.l.barrett at intel.com
Wed Sep 7 16:20:49 UTC 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: Sean Dague [mailto:sean at dague.net]
Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2016 9:05 AM
To: openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [all] Timeframe for future elections & "Release stewards"

On 09/07/2016 11:43 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> As you probably know by now, starting with the Boston event in 2017,
> the Summit will happen further away from the release day and more
> around the middle of the next development cycle. You can find more
> info on the rationale for that at [1] and [2] if interested, this is
> not the topic of this email.
>
> One interesting side-effect is that since the timing of the election
> period (for PTL and TC positions) is defined in the TC charter[3]
> relative to the *Summit*, it means that (unless we change this) we'll
> now run elections to renew PTL and TC positions in the middle of the
> cycle. Crazy, right ? That's what I first thought. But after
> discussing it with various people, this is not as crazy as it sounds.
>
> First, the current election timing is not perfect -- we change PTLs in
> the middle of the design summit prep, with old PTLs making Design
> Summit space requests that will affect their successor. It's not as if
> there was a perfect timing for doing elections.
>
> Second, release cycles are longer than 6 months. They actually start a
> few months before actual development starts, with discussions on next
> cycle priorities and Design Summit prep. They continue a few months
> after release, with critical stable branch backports and communication
> about landed features. So they are one year-long, overlapping cycles
> (like explained on the diagram at [4]). With that in mind, the PTL/TC
> election actually would happen just before the start of the start of
> the requirements-gathering pre-development phase of the next
> development cycle, which makes a lot of sense.
>
> Now, the main drawback of holding elections in the middle of a
> development cycle is that you don't want to introduce a discontinuity
> in leadership in that development cycle. To mitigate that, we propose
> the introduction of a new role, the "release steward", which would be
> attached to the release cycle. That person (who may or may not double
> as
> PTL) would be responsible for a complete release cycle on a given
> project team, from requirements gathering phase to post-release
> bugfix-backport phase. A sort of per-cycle release liaison on steroids.
>
> Since development cycles overlap, there would be two active release
> stewards at all times. This would help with the awkward situation
> where the PTL ends up having to think about the next cycle and prepare
> the Design Summit (or PTG) while still being knee-deep juggling with
> feature freeze exceptions, getting the current release out of the
> door, and coordinating early critical fixes stable backports. Those
> two jobs could be held by two different people.
>
> Now, some teams (especially those doing intermediary releases) may
> want to use the same super-human to handle everything (PTL, release
> steward,
> release+1 steward), and some others might use two or three humans to
> [...]

I had a similar thought to Sean's, with a few changes. Why not have a PTL own the release from start to finish, with the PTL for the next release getting elected as above. In this model, it would probably be advisable (or a guideline) that a PTL not run for 2 cycles in a row, because the work load would be unmanageable. This approach could help to grow a stronger leadership pipeline for each project and provide more opportunities for people in the team to grow their skills and take on leadership.

Carol