[openstack-dev] [OSC] Tenant Resource Cleanup

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Wed Sep 7 14:04:46 UTC 2016

On 07 Sep 2016, at 15:05, John Davidge <John.Davidge at rackspace.com<mailto:John.Davidge at rackspace.com>> wrote:

Hello,

During the Mitaka cycle we merged a new feature into the python-neutronclient called ’neutron purge’. This enables a simple CLI command that deletes all of the neutron resources owned by a given tenant. It’s documented in the networking guide[1].

We did this in response to feedback from operators that they needed a better way to remove orphaned resources after a tenant had been deleted. So far this feature has been well received, and we already have a couple of enhancement requests. Given that we’re moving to OSC I’m hesitant to continue iterating on this in the neutron client, and so I’m reaching out to propose that we look into making this a part of OSC.

Earlier this week I was about to file a BP, when I noticed one covering this subject was already filed last month[2]. I’ve spoken to Roman, who says that they’ve been thinking about implementing this in nova, and have come to the same conclusion that it would fit better in OSC.

This would be really great. From experience of using the existing purge commands (such as for deleted volumes), would it be possible to add a dry run option where it would list the deletions that it would do but not do them. This would allow the operator to check what is due to be cleaned up.

One other area where there have sometimes been problems is when lots of items need to be deleted. Some purge commands add a max resources or similar so that you can do it in smaller steps and avoid a timeout.

Tim

I would propose that we work together to establish how this command will behave in OSC, and build a framework that implements the cleanup of a small set of core resources. This should be achievable during the Ocata cycle. After that, we can reach out to the wider community to encourage a cross-project effort to incrementally support more projects/resources over time.

If you already have an etherpad for planning summit sessions then please let me know, I’d love to get involved.

Thanks,

John

[1] http://docs.openstack.org/mitaka/networking-guide/ops-resource-purge.html
[2] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/python-openstackclient/+spec/tenant-data-scrub

Rackspace Limited is a company registered in England & Wales (company registered number 03897010) whose registered office is at 5 Millington Road, Hyde Park Hayes, Middlesex UB3 4AZ. Rackspace Limited privacy policy can be viewed at www.rackspace.co.uk/legal/privacy-policy<http://www.rackspace.co.uk/legal/privacy-policy> - This e-mail message may contain confidential or privileged information intended for the recipient. Any dissemination, distribution or copying of the enclosed material is prohibited. If you receive this transmission in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail at abuse at rackspace.com<mailto:abuse at rackspace.com> and delete the original message. Your cooperation is appreciated.