[openstack-dev] [javascript] [fuel-ui] Is ReactJS OSI Compliant?

Michael Krotscheck krotscheck at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 12:06:50 UTC 2016

Preface: IANAL (I-am-not-a-lawyer).

ReactJS claims to be BSD licensed. However, it has a non-BSD patent rider
with a very aggressive "Strong Retaliation Clause", meaning that if there's
ever a patent dispute between [React Project] and Facebook, the patents are
revoked.

This might be fine. It might not. If possible, I'd like one of the
foundation lawyers to weigh in on this, as one of our projects (Fuel-UI) is
using it.

Some discussion on the matter:
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12108158

Our own guidelines.
http://governance.openstack.org/reference/licensing.html

Historically, OpenStack has avoided projects that make custom modifications
to a license (see the do-no-evil license on JSLint/JSHint).

Michael